There are plenty of songs to put a smile on your face – but arguably some of the best ones are from musicals so here is a list of a few of Love London Love Culture’s favourites!
1. You Can’t Stop the Beat: Hairspray – so many songs from Hairspray are catchy and fun but none more so than this from the finale. Filled with plenty of rhythm and catchy lyrics mean that this is a song that will stick in your head for ages after it has stopped playing.
2. Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat: Guys & Dolls – another classic musical that offers a wide variety of songs – but this one is most commonly associated with the musical and for good reason. High energy and plenty of personality it is another track that will also leave you with a smile on your face.
3. My Favourite Things: Sound of Music – if you are feeling down what better song to listen to than Julie Andrews singing this classic? Gentle and calming, it is a song that is so positive and really reflects the spirit of the musical as a whole.
4. Wouldn’t it Be Loverly: My Fair Lady – Eliza’s song at this point of the musical is heartwarming as it speaks of her dreams and aspirations and what can put a smile on your face more than listening to hearing other people’s dreams?
5. We Go Together: Grease – this is a highlight track from the musical as it is a celebration of how far the characters have come together and is a great show of solidarity and friendship. Brilliant and sharp lyrics that won’t fail to have you singing along!
6. Do-Re-Mi: The Sound of Music – this is one of the happiest musicals ever created and so it is no wonder it features twice in this list! This is the most iconic song and still brings a smile to your face no matter how many times you listen to it!
7. Circle of Life: The Lion King – if you have seen it live on stage then you will know how awe-inspiring this song is performed live and the overwhelming feeling of hope and joy in the build up to the climax of the song that still leaves goosebumps down your spine no matter what.
8. Tomorrow: Annie – another iconic song, that speaks of even if things aren’t going your way today there is always another chance tomorrow for things to go well. Corny? Yes but it isn’t hard to end up smiling or singing along to it.
9. Mr Mistoffelees: Cats – there is something about this song that immediately brings a smile to people’s faces. Sharp, cool and plenty of attitude is the key elements to the song and really feels like the finale.
10. Together Wherever We Go: Gypsy – most recently brilliantly performed by Imelda Staunton and company in the recent revival at the Savoy Theatre in London, again it shows the importance of sticking together through thick and thin. A very chirpy and memorable song.
So that’s Love London Love Culture’s list – but what songs would be on your list?