Here’s a few shows opening this month that you need to keep an eye out for…
1. Sunset at the Villa Thalia, National Theatre: this new play by Alexi Kaye Campbell stars Sam Crane, Glykeria Dimou, Elizabeth McGovern, Ben Miles, Pippa Nixon and Eve Polycarpou. Directed by Simon Godwin, the play examines what happens when a couple is seduced into making choices that have devastating consequences. (Booking until the 4th August).
2. The Spoils, Trafalgar Studios: Jesse Eisenberg brings his new play to London, directed by Scott Elliott and co-starring Kunal Nayyar.
Nobody likes Ben. Ben doesn’t even like Ben. He bullies everyone in his life, including his roommate Kalyan, an earnest Nepalese immigrant. When Ben discovers that his school crush is marrying a straight-laced banker, he sets out to destroy their relationship and win her back.
The production will run at the theatre until the 13th August. To book tickets visit: ATG Tickets, Ticketmaster.co.uk, Discount Theatre.com, Last Minute.com, Theatre Tickets Direct.co.uk, Love Theatre.com, Theatre People.com and UK Tickets.co.uk.
3. The Go-Between, Apollo Theatre: Michael Crawford returns to the West End in this musical adaptation of the classic novel by L. P. Hartle. It is directed by Roger Haines, with a book by David Wood and a score by Richard Taylor. The production will run at the theatre until the 15th October.
4. The Deep Blue Sea, National Theatre: Terence Rattigan’s play reunites Helen McCrory and director Carrie Cracknell, following the critically acclaimed Medea in 2014. The production also stars Tom Burke, James Alper and Marion Bailey.
When Hester Collyer is found by her neighbours in the aftermath of a failed suicide attempt, the story of her tempestuous affair with a former RAF pilot and the breakdown of her marriage to a High Court judge begins to emerge. With it comes a portrait of need, loneliness and long-repressed passion.
The production opens at the National Theatre on the 1st June running until 17th August.
5. Aladdin, Prince Edward Theatre: this Broadway musical has just opened for previews on the London stage and is one of the most eagerly anticipated musicals to open this year. Based on the classic animated film, prepare to hear ‘Friend Like Me’ and ‘A Whole New World’ live!
It has recently announced that it is now extending its run at the theatre until 2017. To book tickets visit: Ticketmaster.co.uk, Discount Theatre.com, Last Minute.com, Theatre Tickets Direct.co.uk, Love Theatre.com, Theatre People.com and UK Tickets.co.uk.