While there is plenty of great shows coming up in 2017, 2016 has still plenty to offer and here is a few things you need to see this week!
1. Good Canary, Rose Theatre, Kingston-Upon-Thames: John Malkovich makes his London directorial debut with this stunning and stylish production of Zach Helm’s play that looks at mental health and addiction. Hard to watch at times but utterly compelling thanks to the performances from Freya Mavor and Harry Lloyd. Booking until the 8th October. Read Love London Love Culture’s review here.
2. Vanities: The Musical, Trafalgar Studios: perfect for a girls night out, this is a musical about friendship and growing up. Featuring three outstanding performances from Lauren Samuels, Ashleigh Grey and Lizzy Connolly, you don’t want to miss the final week of the run, closing 1st October. Read Love London Love Culture’s review here.
3. Glasgow Girls, Theatre Royal Stratford East: looking at the lives of asylum seekers through the eyes of teenage girls, this true story is brought powerfully and effectively to life. While the musical numbers might not be as powerful as the story needs, but it is still a strong production and worth a watch. Booking until the 1st October. Read Love London Love Culture’s review here.
4. No Man’s Land, Wyndham’s Theatre: certainly one of the theatrical must-sees of the year, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen take to the stage together once again in Sean Matthias’s production of Harold Pinter’s classic play. Find out what critics thought here. Booking until the 17th December.
5. Father Comes Home from the Wars, Royal Court Theatre: this trilogy of short plays first premiered at the Public Theater in New York and are the first three nine short plays that will follow one African-American family through generations up to the present day. Parts 1, 2 & 3 are performed together in one evening. Find out what critics made of it here. Booking until the 22nd October.