New year, new start and so to get us all going for 2017, here are some of Love London Love Culture’s favourite inspirational speeches from films…
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 – this is the moment when Neville Longbottom really emerges as a leader and a hero of the film. Everyone thinks Harry is dead but Neville points out that he might be gone but what he stood for still is something they should all keep fighting for. Brilliant scene.
2. Legally Blonde – although on the surface Legally Blonde is light and fluffy entertainment, underneath at its core is a message that everyone is capable of more than they ever thought possible and in this final speech of the film, Elle really brings this message home. Definitely inspirational.
3. Mrs Doubtfire – the last scene in the film talks about the different ways that people are part of families is really quite comforting, poignant and inspirational in the way in which it celebrates the love between families in different ways. Of course it was beautifully spoken by the late Robin Williams that makes it heartbreaking and honest.
4. Love Actually – the moment in which the Prime Minister (Hugh Grant) makes his speech about standing up to those who bully the country to get what they want is a classically funny and British speech that is memorable in its own right – even if democratically it wouldn’t happen. Brilliant.
5. Erin Brockovich – there are so many speeches within this film that are inspirational and about standing up for those who can’t help themselves but this is particularly shown in this speech in which negotiations for the payout for the victims doesn’t go well and Erin lays it on the line about what they want and need.