So Christmas is over for another year and as we head back to reality, we might need some motivation in order to do so and what better way than to listen to some motivational musical songs. Here’s Love London Love Culture’s personal selection:
1. Some People, Gypsy: now you don’t get a character who is any more motivational than Momma Rose or indeed Imelda Staunton who played her in the recent revival at Savoy Theatre. Everything about this song from the lyrics to the sharp and powerful music as well as Imelda Staunton’s interpretation will get you up and ready for anything.
2. Good Morning, Singin’ in the Rain: if you struggle to get out of bed in the morning and to get yourself motivated for work then just set this as your alarm song. Lively and joyful, there is certainly no better start to your morning than listening to this.
3. S’Wonderful, An American in Paris: charming, elegant and full of positivity this classic Gershwin song is great if you need to find some good in the world. A great little sunny tune.
4. Stick it to the Man, School of Rock: ok so while this might be more about letting a little bit of rebellion into your life, it is a song that also suggests that it is ok to go your own way no matter what other people think of your choices – keep fighting on to follow your dreams and ambitions.
5. ABC Cafe/Red & Black, Les Miserables: normally not one for making predictions, but 2017 is most possibly going to be the year in which it is more important than ever to stand up for what you believe in.While many of the songs in Les Miserables really articulate this, this particular song really portrays the anger and passion that the characters are feeling at this point in the show in a similar way that the world today is feeling towards politics. Keep on fighting for a better and fairer world.