The Official Charts have confirmed the top selling romantic comedy films of all time available on DVD and Blu-ray.
10. Mr & Mrs Smith: this 2005 film starring Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie combines action with romance when a married couple experiencing problems in their relationship also encounter professional problems when they are assigned to killing each other.
9. The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Steve Carell stars as Andy Stitzer, who (as the title suggests) is a 40 year old virgin and is helped by his friends to do so – and maybe find love along the way.
8. P.S. I Love You: based on the 2004 novel of the same name by Cecelia Ahern, this 2007 tearjerker stars Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler as a happily married couple whose lives take an unexpected turn.
7. Hitch: this 2005 film stars Will Smith as a dating coach who helps people find love – but with a cynical journalist played by Eva Mendes – can he find love for himself?
6. Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason: this sequel to the beloved original and based on Helen Fielding’s novels about a 30-something singleton – sees the highs and lows of dating and relationships to comical and heartfelt effect.
5. The Holiday: this sweet and cosy romantic comedy that sees Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz as two heartbroken women who find love unexpectedly when they swap houses during the Christmas period is a great watch if you need your faith restored in love.
4. Pretty Woman: this early 90’s classic pairs up Julia Roberts and Richard Gere and proves that love can be found in all walks of life – including millionaires and prostitutes. A more edgy Cinderella story if you will!
3. Bridget Jones’s Diary: if there was a film that celebrates that even the loneliest people can find happiness when they least expect it – this is it! Heartfelt, relatable and genuinely funny this is a romantic comedy that genuinely puts a smile on your face.
2. Sex and the City: the beloved tv series made the transition from the small screen to the big screen in 2008 and continued to follow the exploits of four New York city ladies trying to find their way through relationships.
1.Love Actually: effectively intertwining ten very different stories with an all-star cast, it is no wonder that Richard Curtis’s film has proved so popular with audiences. Gentle, poignant and big hearted it is a perfect watch on Valentine’s Day.