It has been a while since I have last done a post on this so here are just a few things to go and see in London at the moment.
1. The Mentalists, Wyndham’s Theatre – Ok so the fact that this closing a month earlier than planned isn’t a great sign, this is still worth going to see for the performances of Stephen Merchant and Steffan Rhodri. The play might not be as strong as One Man, Two Guvnors (another hugely successful Richard Bean play) and lacking slightly in comedy, but it still raises some interesting points. Booking until the 29th August.
2. Dear Lupin – Apollo Theatre – Another two-hander starring James and Jack Fox and based on the best selling book, this is a poignant and witty show about the relationship between one father and son that is lovely to watch. My full review of the show will be going up next week – so keep a look out for that! Booking until 19th September.
3. Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Idol, National Portrait Gallery – This lovely tribute to the life and career of Audrey Hepburn features some of the loveliest images of her that I have ever seen. Some of the photographs on display have been lent by her sons Luca and Sean and so it has a personal feel about it. If there was one thing that I was disappointed about was that it was over too quickly! Booking until 18th October.
4. Barbara Hepworth: Sculpture for a Modern World, Tate Britain – Now I haven’t been to see this yet, but it is on my to see list. When I think of sculpture there are two names that I automatically think of: Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth. This exhibition is the first large scale display of her work. Booking until the 25th October.
5. Bend it Like Beckham, Phoenix Theatre – An unusual choice to make this film into a musical but the critics and the public seem to love it judging by everything that I have read about it… although my fellow bloggers seem to be less enthusiastic about its success. Booking until 24th October.
There you go – a few suggestions if you are stuck on ideas of where to go and what to do in the next couple of weeks. I will have more suggestions for you next week!