Following on from ITV’s programme The Nation’s Favourite Disney Song , here is Love London Love Culture’s thoughts on some of the best Disney songs…
20. When I See and Elephant Fly (Dumbo) – this scene from the shortest Disney animated film Dumbo comes close to the end when a bunch of crows doubt Dumbo’s ability to fly and tease him. It is a classic Disney song because it combines fun music with great lyrics and is one of the most memorable songs created.
19. The Beautiful Briny (Bedknobs and Broomsticks): taking place during the animated sequence of the film, it is a catchy song that doesn’t fail to charm you even if you are just listening to the lyrics rather than watching the film. It is instantly recognisable from the first note as many of the Robert and Richard Sherman songs are and is a definite highlight in the film itself.
18. In Summer (Frozen): there is another song from this little Disney film that has got lots of air time since the film’s release, but Olaf’s song is actually more charming despite perhaps lacking the drama of ‘Let it Go’ – it is all about dreams and what you want to do in your life and it certainly puts a smile on the audience’s face.
17. Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas): in every Disney film there is one song that really captures the spirit of the film, in Pocahontas this is it. Filled with drama, passion and actually sounds pretty grown up – particularly in comparison to songs sung by princesses in early Disney films.
16. Heigh-Ho (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs): taken from Disney’s first animated picture, this sequence is iconic and introduces the audience to the dwarfs charmingly and is probably one of the first introductions to Disney that children will have.
15. Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast): featuring one of the best overall soundtracks to a film that Disney has ever created, this particular song goes alongside a particularly fantastic sequence that really shows how Disney is constantly high in the animation stakes and providing quality throughout all aspects of the film.
14. Hakuna Matata (The Lion King): another Disney film that has a quality number of songs but Hakuna Matata is a favourite because it is sug by a great comedy duo in the film and is filled with great spirit and joy that you can’t help but join in!
13. Under the Sea (The Little Mermaid): quirky, exotic and a heap of fun this song really gets the spirit of the sea and the wide variety of creatures that live down in the sea – it is musical perfection!
12. A Whole New World (Aladdin): it isn’t just the catchy songs that Disney has become well known for but also the powerful ballads as well – with A Whole New World being one such strong example.
11. Can You Feel the Love Tonight? (The Lion King): this beautiful song written by Sir Elton John and Sir Tim Rice showcases the talents of both perfectly that it went on to win an Oscar.
10. Reflection (Mulan): for the last last song on this part of the list, it is time to turn to a character who didn’t feel as though she fitted in with society – until she joins the army. This song from Mulan perfectly captures the emotions that plenty of people have probably felt in their lives and is poignant and thoughtful.
Find out the top 10 in the next article!