Following the charming Prom devoted to the music of the Gershwin’s the other evening at the Royal Albert Hall, here is a guide to some of the best songs that they created.
1. ‘S Wonderful: there is a wonderful lilting rhythm to this song, combined with the charming lyrics that makes it a romantic and beautiful song.
2. Funny Face: this is such a sunny and warm-hearted song that it has the ability to a smile on your face no matter how many times you listen to it. It has plenty of heart and personality that is instantly recognisable.
3. I Got Rhythm: used in the film An American in Paris, this is one of the more catchier George and Ira Gershwin songs with plenty of bounce. Joyful and easily recognisable with its distinct rhythm, it is toe-tappingly good!
4. Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off: smart, witty and sharp are just a few words that spring to mind when listening to this song. Many of Gershwin’s tunes have plenty of personality about them that really makes the listener sit up and listen and this is definitely a prime example of that.
5. They Can’t Take That Away From Me: oozing with charm and charisma, ‘They Can’t Take That Away From Me’ is stylish and sophisticated – enjoyable from beginning to end.
This is just a small selection of some of their most memorable songs – all of which are elegant, delicate and sophisticated with plenty of rise and fall that take your emotions all over the place. What they achieved in their career was creating extremely perceptive music that people can really feel and allow them to emotionally engage in – no matter which song it is you are listening to.