With so many musicals around it can be difficult to decide which ones you need to add to your collection – but here is Love London Love Culture’s top five albums you really do need in your life.
1. La La Land – while some have found the film itself perhaps a little bit overhyped, there is no denying that this soundtrack is classy and elegant. Stand out tracks include ‘Another Day of Sun’, ‘A Lovely Night’ and ‘City of Stars’ – jazz infused but with a modern twist, it mixes traditional with contemporary to create something really refreshing to listen to.
2. School of Rock – going down a storm in London and New York, the soundtrack is brilliantly motivational and passionate that no matter how many times you listen to it you instantly feel more determined and positive about your life. Listen to tracks such as ‘If Only You Would Listen’ and ‘Stick it to the Man’ – certainly two highlights of many.
3. Hamilton – ok well I’m sure this is already in quite a few collections already, but it can’t be stated enough that this is a soundtrack that is brutally honest and in the lyrics does not hold back – a powerful tool for storytelling that many will be familiar with from In the Heights.
4. An American in Paris: arriving in London in March, as well as an extraordinary amount of different styles of dancing audiences can expect to delight in the wonderful soundtrack, which features many of George and Ira Gershwin’s classic songs such as ‘I Got Rhythm’ and ‘’S Wonderful’.
5. Dreamgirls: whether it is the film soundtrack or the Original Broadway Cast recording, everyone should have a copy of this in their collection. Every song is filled with heart, passion and soul that it is not surprising to have so many of the songs stuck permanently in your head.