With so many great musicals out there, there is also some fabulous soundtracks available if you want to recreate that magical experience of the live show once again. Here are Love London Love Culture’s picks for this month…
1. Half a Sixpence: there is no doubting that the revival production currently playing at the Noel Coward Theatre is packed full with gems, particularly ‘Pick Out a Simple Tune’ and ‘If the Rain’s Got to Fall’. Cheeky, playful and guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
2. Dreamgirls: currently wowing audiences at the Savoy Theatre, there is certainly plenty of vocal talent to appreciate and admire throughout the show so the recent release of the London cast recording was welcome news to many. The recording manages to convey the energy, passion and clarity of all the vocals without seemingly needing much (if any) adjustment. Well worth a listen.
3. School of Rock: while the Broadway cast recording might not be quite as good as having the original London cast recording the music, it still manages to capture the energy and spirit of the show, particularly during numbers such as ‘Stick it to the Man’ and ‘You’re in the Band’. Packed with humour and attitude – it certainly gives you motivation after you have listened to it!
4. An American in Paris: for something a little more classic, then the soundtrack for this Broadway musical now also playing in London is the one for you. Gorgeous melodies, charming lyrics combine to make some of the best known and loved songs ever written. It is a pleasure to hear the cast singing them over and over again.
5. Top Hat: while this wonderful production is not in the West End or touring, listening to the soundtrack it does not only make you wish that it were but also just how many memorable songs feature in it. Oozing in sophistication, elegance and humour it is a soundtrack that is easy to listen to over and over again.