The musical officially launched at the Cafe de Paris in London, ahead of previews at the Piccadilly Theatre from the 29th March. Here’s why Love London Love Culture is excited…
1. There is going to be plenty of dancing to be enjoyed: the launch showcased some of the fantastic dancing for audiences to enjoy – much of it with a distinct Spanish and latin vibe but with a distinctly contemporary vibe that will thrill and delight.
2. Will Young will star as Wally Strand – a newly created role for the musical: the singer will play the role of the band leader. Since winning Pop Idol in 2001, Will Young has expanded into the world of acting and musicals, having starred alongside Dame Judi Dench in the film Mrs Henderson Presents and making his debut as Emcee in the West End production of Cabaret.
3. The soundtrack features a number of well known songs such as Love is in the Air, Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps and Time After Time: this production will feature a number of songs from the original 1992 film that will be familiar to those who know and love the original film by Baz Luhrmann.
4. The costumes are pretty glitzy and glamorous: as you would expect the costumes designed by Catherine Martin are going to be pretty spectacular with plenty of sequins and colour that will highlight the footwork of those wearing them perfectly.
5. Drew McOnie will bring it all it life with plenty of flair and style: having won the Olivier Award for ‘Best Theatre Choreography’ for In the Heights in 2016 and nominated for the same award in 2017 for the ground-breaking production of Jesus Christ Superstar at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, it is pretty safe to say that Strictly Ballroom is in safe hands. McOnie’s previous credits also include On the Town (Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre) and The Wild Party (The Other Palace). At the launch he spoke of how Strictly Ballroom the film inspired him to become a choreographer.
Strictly Ballroom will open for previews at the Piccadilly Theatre from the 29th March 2018. To book tickets visit: ATG Tickets, Ticketmaster.co.uk, Love London Love Culture, See Tickets.com, Love Theatre.com, Theatre Tickets Direct.co.uk and Last Minute.com.