As the Edinburgh Festival ends, attention begins to switch once again to London and here is some of the shows opening this week!
1. The Entertainer, Garrick Theatre: this is the final production in Kenneth Branagh Theatre Company’s first season of work at the Garrick Theatre. As well as starring Kenneth Branagh in the role of Archie Rice, the cast also includes Gawn Grainger and Phil Dunster. (Booking until the 12th November).
2. Unfaithful, Found111: Adam Penford directs the London premiere of Owen McCafferty’s darkly comic play which stars Matthew Lewis, Niamh Cusack, Sean Campion and Ruta Gedmintas. It is a story of regret, postponed conversations and unspoken desires. (Booking until the 8th October)
3. Waiting for Waiting for Godot, St James Theatre: directed by Mark Bell (The Comedy About a Bank Robbery, The Play That Goes Wrong), Dave Hanson’s comedy follows the story of two understudies passing time backstage trying to understand life and art. (Booking until the 24th September)
4. Vanities: The Musical, Trafalgar Studios: this American musical is getting its London premiere, with a fantastic cast lined up including Lauren Samuels, Ashleigh Gray and Lizzie Connelly. A story of three best friends growing up in Texas, it contains a score which combines girl group harmonies of the 60s and 70s with a contemporary musical theatre score. (Booking until the 1st October)
5. Pride and Prejudice, Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre: Jane Austen’s classic love story is brought back to the stage. It will play at the Open Air Theatre before embarking on a UK tour and stars Matthew Kelly and Felicity Montagu as Mr and Mrs Bennett. (Booking until 17th September)